Saturday, January 16, 2016

Mommy's Day Off

So my day to myself included hanging out with my best friend, reading an awesome book, and making something called wine gummies.

Hanging out with the bestie, would not be complete without fermented grape juice, the drink of the gods in Greek mythology, or to my children "mommy juice". Usually hanging out with her is more like a festival celebrating the Greek god Dionysus.




Recently while browsing Pinterest, I came across an interesting idea. Using wine as a base for a gummy bear. So I packed up some of my wine is a plastic transportable wine bottle.





This travel bottle, made by Wine Anytime, is made of extra thick plastic. It absolutely does not leak. It can can hold a full 750ml bottle of wine to boot. I love it because it makes it easier to my wine places where glass bottles are not allowed or where the bottles might break (like in my trunk). At first I was afraid that it would be a pain to fill but it is surprisingly easy. I do inflate the bag first to make it just a little easier.






Wine Fruit Snacks – Wine Gummy Bears (or Hearts—whatever shape you want to make them!)
1 cup wine
4 Tbsp gelatin (I always use this kind)
1/2 tsp stevia (optional)
2 -4 Tbsp maple syrup (I always use Grade B, but any kind will work)


Click to see the original recipe.

I simplified this recipe a bit. Instead of using both stevia and maple syrup, I used honey. The main reason why I opted for honey is because it dissolves in liquids really well. Considering the trick to making really good gummies is to get the gelatin to dissolve not having to worry about the sweetener dissolving is a boon.

Once the wine had heated up, the grainy texture of the gelatin disappears and then you know it is ready to pour into whatever mold you choose.

I happened to have a silicone gummy bear mold.

My silicone mold is made by Status Kitchen, and thankfully came with a little dropper to cleanly fill each cavity.





I added all the ingredients into a zip top baggie, and then submerged the baggie in a pot of simmering water to help heat up the wine without breaking down any of the alcohol molecules in the wine. I, then used the dropper to fill each mold cavity and then set it in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set up.

The gummies that come out are absolutely adorable and well formed. The silicone releases the gummies easily without having to oil everything.




At the end of the day, back at home with my adorable little wine bear gummies, I curled up on the couch to finish reading the book I was working on; Wanderers: The Apprentice.

With this second installment in the Wanderer series, our journey with Rafe picks up shortly after where it left off in the first book. True to her word, Fate has found Rafe an apprentice to train. This is important now more than ever since Rafe has learned that he is one of the last of his kind. However, Fate has broken tradition. Rafe's new apprentice is female. Considering the side effects that working magic with a partner can cause is going to make training the new apprentice interesting for Rafe.

This book feels as though we take a short break from the over arching story of Rafe's pursuit of Rowle and the quest to stop Ragnarok. The story is full of action and there is rarely a lull. It is also fully of twists and turns that will surprise the reader and keep them guessing who Rafe can actually trust.

The story does tackle complex relationship themes like sexual tensions that often arise between mentor and trainee when consisting of opposite genders as well as the complex emotional state of obligation and responsibility that can cloud judgement when those you care for are in danger.

This plot is a great follow up to the storm that Bamberg started brewing in book 1.



As always feedback, questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome. Please remember to follow the blog and register your email address at the top of the page to have new posts delivered right to your email inbox and never miss an update.

Disclaimer: please be aware that any item mentioned in this blog may have been received for free or at a discount in exchange for a fair and honest review. The opinions expressed in this blog are my own regardless of how the items were acquired.

No comments:

Post a Comment